Sunday, February 25, 2007

Fiat Punto


I got this car from Hertz@BHX. Initially I thought 'Gee, this is a tiny car' even I sort of recognize it. This car was sold in Asia some time back, but I really had no chance (and no motivation too) to look close.
Ok, here I am. Jump in the car and start my england driving adventure. It eventually took me 4 days to figure out exactly how all the things on dashboard work. Well, it might not be its fault since I was also under pressure and jumped in the car and drive immediately. Other part of the car are relatively straightforward.
I doubt in the beginning how this tiny car is going to behave on highway, it turned out to be pretty well surprisingly. I am not exactly sure it is because of road condition or what. In Germany, the nearly perfect autobahn contributes significant portion of the driving comfort. Driving at 70 or even 80 mph (not kph!), I started to concern the well-handling is making my safety under risk since I am always under the impression that the car at this size will not survive in any crash under that speed. However, it seems many many people in UK are driving at the same speed with the same size car! so, what could I say!? Driving slower probably put myself in jeopardy.
Because of manual, I can control the rpm pretty well and avoid clinches of transmission
other than those mistakes made by myself. And because of the traffic jam near university, it normally get me back to driving lesson 101
every morning (haha embarrassed laugh).
I am also wondering that this car does not have significant characterisitics like other european cars. Drove BMW and Mercedes only in the past, I have to say my exposure to european car is very limited. However, impressed by the different features on these brands (I am not saying these features are necessary better or worse), Fiat does make this car very plain. So plain that next time if you put me in driver seat, I will just purely unrecognize this is a Fiat other than the mark on steering wheel.
Anyway, as a transportation tool, it does provide all the hygiene factors. I cannot complain, it covers well and made me survive in this 7 days challenging adventure :D

No comments: